[ale] redhat rpm's -- confused

Ben Scherrey scherrey at gte.net
Thu Jul 16 21:54:34 EDT 1998

Josin Etienne wrote:
> i dwonloaded (from redhat) the following rpm's:
>
> glibc-2.0.7-13.i386.rpm
> glibc-debug-2.0.7-13.i386.rpm
> glibc-devel-2.0.7-13.i386.rpm
> glibc-profile-2.0.7-13.i386.rpm
>
> - what are the 'debug', 'devel', and 'profile' ones for ?
>
> - do i need them for just getting my java to work ?

	All you need is glibc (the first one to run Java). The debug one has
debug symbols linked in. Profile has profiling symbols linked in. Devel
- well, I haven't looked at it but perhaps it has more functions to link
to. I really don't know about that one.

	BTW - the JDK1.1.6 you can d/l from blackdown.org works fine but is
quite slow. Hopefully the native thread version will be available
shortly.

	regards,

		Ben Scherrey