[ale] hardware question

Linux Idiot esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Jul 9 08:08:16 EDT 1998

Jacob Langseth wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 08, 1998 6:29 PM, Joe Bayes [SMTP:jbayes at cs.oberlin.edu]
> wrote:
> >
> > I recently had my computer shipped from one end of the country to the
> > other, and it seems it got a bit banged up in the process.
> >
> > When I power up and hit DEL to get to the bios, it gives me a
> > little hourglass like it used to, and then 2 seconds later the
> > creen goes blank and stays that way. Is there any chance I don't
> > need a new motherboard?
>
> Take the cover off and look real close at everything,

> Hope you find a heart beat,
>
> Jacob

All excellent suggestions Jacob.  I would suggest that if this doesn't
resolve the problem, you can take the next step of trying to boot a very
basic machine.  Remove as many of your cards as possible, memory, sound
card, modem, nic, whatever.  You can either remove one at a time, and
reboot, or remove all you can and reboot.  The first takes a bit longer,
but may identify a problem card quicker. If you have more than one
memory card (one pair in pentiums), you might try variations of
combinations, but try and boot with the minimum amount so you can
eliminate possible cards with problems. If it still won't boot, verify
that any chips on the mb are seated correctly, including the processor.
Reseat them and attempt to reboot.  If you get it to boot with the
minimum config, then start adding cards again until you find the one
that might be causing you problems.

Oh yes, all the while, praying to the silicon gods may help.  Good luck.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????