[ale] scsi gurus are needed BAAAAAAD !!!!

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Thu Jul 2 19:00:33 EDT 1998

Greetings !

Running RedHat4.2, when I.......

	/sbin/modprobe scsi_module.o

I get...........................

	can't locate module scsi_module.o

My readings tell me that I need:

	1-scsi_mod.o loaded for core support
	2-st.o for High level tape support  [Probe OK]
	3-aha152x.o for Low level tape support for a
		aha1510a card               [Probe OK]

Upon searching .........

	/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/drivers/scsi
	I don't find   scsi_mod.o

	I am assuming that I need scsi_module.o. since that is what most
resembles scsi_mod.o in said directory

 But, I get "undeclared" errors concerning functions;

	init_module and cleanup_module

  when I:	 gcc -c scsi_module.c -o scsi_module.o

 So, now I have no "scsi_module.o".

I have done.........

	make xconfig and clicked on "Scsi Support" and under it found:

		scsi support		y
		scsi tape support 	y
		scsi generic support 	m
		probe all luns		n

but......
	when I click for example on "scsi generic support" to change it to "y",
I can't find a way to save a new setting.

Also when I tried to recompile the kernel.............

	make dep, make clean, make zImage

I get..............

	Error 1		[whatever that is].

How in the hell can I get scsi functionality with the least amount of
grief !

 Now when I try to use the drive [an Exabyte 8500] it appears to run
fine and be backing up for quite a while then at some arbitrary point
hangs the system ............never finishing.

I've used commands:

	tar cvf /dev/st0 /

		which copies lots of files (and then dies, i.e. hangs 				the machine)

		and

	cd /; find . -depth -print | cpio -ov -C38400 -O/dev/st0

		which says "truncating inode number" regarding each 				file, and then
dies (after copying lots of files)

I apologize for such a compendium, but I am trying to get this going and
am trying to attack this from all angles so that I will hopefully get
this resolved with as few postings as possible.

Thanks to all, for any help.

	ccthomas at flash.net