[ale] smart config?

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Tue Jan 20 22:50:35 EST 1998

> On 20 Jan, Robert L Harris wrote:
> > Ok,
> >   Let's say I need to change one option in a kernel config (2.1.79).  I've
> > heard about "smart config".  How would I take advantage of this?
>
> Automagically ;-).  Just change your config, and do the make dep ; make
> zImage ; make modules (omit the make clean).
>
> Smart config just improved the make dep part so that changing the
> kernel config doesn't cause all files to have to be recompiled.
> Instead, only those that actually are affected by the changed config
> have to be rebuilt.

Very nice.  Hats off to the person who thought that up and implemented it.

Second,  my second machine is single CPU.  Would I be better off setting
SMP=0?

Robert L. Harris          |   NT is secure....
System Engineer For Hire. \_   as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER: