[ale] No More Ftp?

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 14 18:32:03 EST 1998

On 14 Jan, Robert L Harris wrote:
>> > Ok,
>> >   I got my ftp working from a few weeks ago.  Apparently I was missing in.ftpd
>> > (don't ask me how).  it worked for a few weeks.  Now it doesn't work anymore.
>> >
>> > It gives me the name/pass prompt and dies:
>> >
>> > Connected to localhost.
>> > 220 dogbert FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-12](1) Wed Mar 5 12:37:21 EST 1997) ready
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's wu-ftpd 2.4.2-beta-12.

> Actually, I'm not using wu-ftpd and this box is in a very secure domain
> so I should be ok.  Here's what I get for my ftp:

See above.

> {0}:dogbert:/etc/vga>rpm -q -a | grep ftp
> ftp-0.10-1
> ncftp-2.4.2-3
> tftp-0.10-2

On a redhat system, you also want the wu-ftpd (and probably anonftp)
packages.  Ncftp and ftp are ftp clients, while tftp is a trivial ftp
client and daemon (for booting diskless workstations, mainly).
Install the wu-ftpd package, because you're probably missing
/etc/ftpd/ftpaccess or something else essential like that.

What does rpm -qf `locate in.ftpd` report on your system?

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu