[ale] Mac hardware (sort of on-topic :-)

Joe jknapka at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 14 22:41:33 EST 1998

Hey y'all,

I have recently acquired "Molly the Macintosh", a
prehistoric MacII that I would like to get working in
order to run (here's the on-topic part) m68k-Linux.

This poor machine is in really rough shape, so I am
wondering if any ALErs might know of a local (Atlanta)
source of any of the following items, preferably used
(and cheap - if I can't at least make the thing boot
System 7 for under $50 I'm going to give up):

(1) Any functional Apple monitor that will work with
this machine. I'm actually hoping for one of the
original Apple 12" b&w ones - I don't plan to be
running X on the poor thing. I'll be amazed if I can
even compile a kernel on it... although I used to
compile kernels on a 4M 486/33 all the time, so maybe
there's hope.

(2) A functional Apple 800K floppy drive.

(3) A functional Apple mouse (I may just grab one
at CompUSA, if I can find the rest of the pieces
I need).

(4) An Apple 8Meg SIMM for a MacII, or any compatible
8Meg SIMM (I believe this machine requires a
specialized part, rather than just any old 30-pin
SIMM).

(5) A Paged MMU for a 68020.

(6) A functional Apple hard drive of several hundred
MB. I'm not sure whether the internal drive works or
not, but even if so I want to add a drive for Linux.

(7) A Nubus Ethernet card.

Also, if anyone has any relevent experiance with Mac
hardware or m68k-Linux on Macs, I'd love to hear about
it. I already know that the state of 68k MacLinux is
pretty rough, which is partly why I want to do this :)

And another thing - in the same batch of junk with
Molly. I also picked up an old Abaton SCSI b&w
scanner. Anyone seen one of these work under Linux?

Thanks,

-- Joe Knapka
"Alas, cat sauce buns will be rare in the distant
future." - Refrigerator Magnets