[ale] Sharing NFS /home and /usr

Eric Zundel Ayers eric at compgen.com
Tue Jan 13 18:38:46 EST 1998

Steven A. DuChene writes:

 > Unh, I don't think sharing /usr is a real good idea. You may run into
 > various problems especially with /usr/lib  Particularly if you go
 > with RedHat 5.0  on the new machine since it and several other future
 > distributions will be  glibc-2.0 based. The two systems may well end
 > up having incompatible libraries even if one is not glibc-2.0 based
 > since many of the libraries are under  /usr/lib
 >
 > What happens if the versions of XFree86 are different on the two systems?
 > Most of that lives under /usr/X11R6

Actually, if you look, most of the configuration stuff is ACTUALLY on
/var.

$ ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           14 Jun  9  1997 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 -> /var/X11R6/lib/

The thing that they are striving for with the distributions is to make
it possible to do things like mount /usr as a read only filesystem.

-Eric.