[ale] Any way to patch a RedHat 4.2 boot.img file?

Susan Liebeskind shl at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 2 00:44:19 EST 1998

Folks,

I'll bet I can't replace a module loaded by the 4.2 install boot.img, but I'll
ask anyway, in case someone has a clever hack.

BACKGROUND:

I have an approx 3 year old Dell Latitude XP.  It lacks an internal CD
so I use its advanced port replicator, containing a Future Domain TMC950
SCSI controller, to attach an external SCSI CD for software
installation.

Approx 14 months ago, I went through intense agony attempting to
install RedHat 4.0 via the local CD setup.  It was absolutely NOT
possible to install RedHat 4.0 via this setup -- it would randomly
flake out with funky errors, teasing me with failure at a different
place in the install process each time.  If only it had died
consistently, I would have given up long before I did! RedHat support
was clueless, and it was only through the graciousness of a fellow ALE
member and his home network that I was ever able to get Linux loaded at
all on the laptop.

Subsequently, I figured out the magic to build a kernel that could
recognize the CD player via the TMC950. Specifically I needed to compile the
seagate.o module (that drives the TMC950) without the -DFAST32 define.
Eureka. I had a working setup.  I could access CDs via Linux.  Life was good.

Then my hard disk died.  The gods snickered and laughed at me, and like
Sisyphus, I was sentenced to push that rock back up the hill again.  Once
again, I had to do a RedHat install onto a bare disk.  And you guessed
it, I am experiencing the *same* difficulties with a local CD install of
RedHat 4.2 that I ran into with RedHat 4.0.

The new install process at least gives me more input, and I can see
that it loads a seagate.o module that was compiled with -DFAST32.
Great, so I know EXACTLY what and where the problem is this time.
This is progress.  If I can replace the seagate.o module in question with
one compiled sans the FAST32 define, it will all work.

THE QUESTION:

Can I somehow patch the boot.img file and replace a module loaded
during the install process?

It's not simply a case of creating a new boot disk -- the boot.img file
is special in that it immediately invokes the installation script, and
I don't have a clue how that install script is invoked. I have searched
the RedHat site but found no information on how to do what I want.  And
I don't have access to RedHat support this time, for all the good that
it did me last time, to ask them to generate a special boot.img file
for me.

Is it time to admit defeat and arrange to install via the network
again?  Can this boot.img file be saved?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Susan

Susan Liebeskind (susan.liebeskind at gtri.gatech.edu)
GTRI/ITTL/CSITD
347 Ferst St
Atlanta, GA  30332-0817				 Phone 404-894-4266