[ale] How do I make a current set of modules?

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 5 09:41:06 EST 1998

Silly problem -- quick answer I expect:
  I have rebuilt my kernel and modules, but can't load modules due to a
  version mismatch between modules and kernel.

I rebuilt my 2.0.30 kernel without making changes in version numbers so
far as I knew.  I did: 'make config', 'make dep; make clean; make zImage',
'make modules', 'make modules_install', copied zImage to
/boot/<kernel_name>, and ran 'lilo'.  Now when I boot, the system refuses
to load any modules, with an error message of the general form:
"Your modules (from linux-2.0.30) do not match your Linux-2.0.30 kernel"
along with similar nastigrams from 'depmod' and 'insmod'.

I repeated the experiment and saw that few if any modules were actually
rebuilt, even though I had re-done the sequence including 'make clean'.
Do I have to do a separate 'make clean' of modules, transer some other
data to a module load directory, or what?  I did try with and without the
config selection: CONFIG_MODVERSIONS and it seemed to make no difference.

  John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer -- john.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
  Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
         Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
   'Deja-Moo':  The feeling you've heard all this bull before.  --Anon