[ale] Routes that fade away...

Eric Zundel Ayers eric at compgen.com
Wed Feb 4 15:30:39 EST 1998

The problem is gated/routed running.  If you are running gated, it
expects to hear a router broadcasting the route occasionally. If it
isn't there, gated erases the route.
If you are running routed, you need to configure /etc/gateways, I believe.
If you are running gated, the solution is to specify your
interfaces as passive in the gated.conf file.  Here'as an example
gated.conf file.

# Mark interface passive; meaning do not time-out
interfaces {
        interface all passive ;
} ;

# Enable RIP and send RIP updates only if >1 interface is configured
# emulating /usr/sbin/routed
#rip yes ;

# the following clause when uncommented act same as "routed -q" mode;
# (i.e. quite mode) -- never send RIP update even >1 interface configured.
rip yes
{
        nobroadcast;
} ;

static {
        default         gateway 123.45.67.89  ;
        172.151.32.0    mask 255.255.255.0  gateway 172.18.4.7 ;
};