[ale] Technofeeb Question

Jacob Langseth jlangseth at esisys.com
Mon Feb 2 15:11:43 EST 1998

On Monday, February 02, 1998 2:26 PM, Bryan Moorehead
[SMTP:barcode at mindspring.com] wrote:
> 	I am running Caldera Linux and a friend helped me set up
> a network connection to my windoze 95 machine.  We recompiled the
> kernel to include the ethernet support.  However, when I type ping...
> I get:
>
> Network is unreachable...
>
> The Network cards on both machines are installed and recognized, and the

Sounds like your network interface isn't configured.  There should be a
script[1] which handles this during system startup; make sure it contains
the correct values for your host and re-execute it.  If it works, an entry for
eth0 should show up when you run 'ifconfig'.

[1]  Debian uses /etc/init.d/network, but caldera might use the control panel
for configuring this information.  YMMV.  If you can't find it, you should be
able to use this script for accomplishing the same thing:

(usage:  ./network)

#! /bin/sh
#
# network       Establish the network connection.
#
# Version:      @(#)network  1.1  1996-05-29  miquels at cistron.nl
#

# Configure the loopback device.
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0 dev lo

# Configure the ethernet device or start SLIP/PPP below.
IPADDR=155.229.50.14
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=155.229.50.0
BROADCAST=155.229.50.255
GATEWAY=155.229.50.10

ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK} dev eth0
route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

--
Jacob Langseth <jlangseth at esisys.com>
CTI Engineer -- Enhanced Systems, Inc.