[ale] Re: suspend/resume problem

Balazs NAGY nagy at ibm.net
Sat Apr 4 04:27:23 EST 1998

Bob wrote:

> On my Toshiba T4700TC laptop with a 3com 589 Enet card, when I close the top
> and re-open it the Enet card fails to start back up.
>
> Even though the system continues where it left off I need to reboot to
> regain access to the ethernet.  If I manually do
>
>         cardctl suspend
>         cardctl resume
>
> then I regain ethernet access.
>
> Thus, how do I get these commands invoked automatically?  I don't see
> reference to suspend and resume (or anything other than the standard
> states) in /etc/rc.d/*.  The kernel I'm using (from the Slackware 3.4 CD)
> works fine with suspending and resuming the laptop and understands power
> management and such.
>
> I am running Slackware 3.4 with a 2.0.30 kernel and just upgraded to
> cardmanager x.9.12.

In general, for a suspend/resume cycle of the APM system to work fine
you need either to eject the cards before suspending the laptop, or
suspend them. On my IBM TP560, using PCMCIA 3.0.0, the laptop wont
suspend, until the card is either ejected, or suspended. This is not
a Linux specific problem, with every othes OS, you need also to stop
somehow the PC cards, unless tou may be in more trouble than in linux.

Unfortunately I don't know were are the suspend/resume scripts, but
I remember having seen some clues in the PCMCIA-HOWTO.

Cheers,

		Balazs
--
 Balazs Nagy
 Colorado School of Mines       Institut Francais du Petrole