[ale] 3c509b ethernet problem

Joe Bayes jbayes at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 2 23:41:36 EST 1998

I'm having some problems with my 3c509b-combo ethernet card. When I
boot up, I get the message "delaying eth0 initialization" instead of
the standard results of a probe. When I try to telnet somewhere, I get
a "network unreachable" message.

I'm running RH5.0. The card works with W95, so I'm pretty sure it's
not a hardware problem. I disabled plug'n'pray, told the dos setup
utility that I wanted it to use the twisted pair, and rebooted before
I tried it. I even tried waiting 5 minutes or so to see if the
initialization was simply delayed, as the (less than informative)
error message told me, or if it actually wasn't going to work. I also
tried running linux from lilo as "linux ether=11,0x210,0,1,eth0", but
saw no difference.

Has anybody ever had this problem before?

I've included my ifcfg-eth0 at the end of this message...I'm not sure
what other files might be likely to cause this problem.

Thanks,

--joe

#ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0