[ale] Another question

Daniel Boyd dboyd at berry.edu
Wed Apr 1 10:57:19 EST 1998

Hello ALE,
WARNING!! This is long....
Have recently attempted to install a new web server on campus here.
It is a Pentium Pro 180 w/128MB RAM, four 4gig SCSI drives (two
initially setup in a RAID1 array, now abandoned), 3Com 3c590 PCI NIC,
RedHat 5.0 clean install (no updates loaded yet), Apache 1.2.5
compiled from source, SAMBA 1.9.18p3 (compiled from source), Netatalk
1.4 (compiled from source), kernel 2.0.33 w/RAID145 patches and md
compiled into the kernel.  I have since removed the md driver from
the kernel, but have not removed the RAID145 patch from the source.
The mystery is this:  When I first boot the box networking is fine,
but after a ?random? amount of time all network (except Netatalk,
strangely) simply dies.  The box can't see the attached network and
nothing can see the box (no telnet, no web access, no ping response).
Any ideas?  I will be glad to give more info if needed...

Dan

Daniel Boyd, CNA              Voice: 706/236-1750
Network Manager               Fax: 706/238-7858
Computing and Technology      email: dboyd at berry.edu
Berry College         "We are confronted with
                       insurmountable opportunities."
                             -Walt Kelly