[ale] Linux Distributions

Marc A. Torres marct at lowbyte.com
Mon Sep 29 17:50:35 EDT 1997

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > Ok folks, its time to start the distribution discussions again. :-)
>
> > Like most of us who have used Linux a long time, I was happy to go to
> > Slackware from SLS. It was heaven sent in comparison. However, times
> > changed and Slackware had a big lull and I switched to RedHat. I was
> > fairly happy with it and I continue to use it even today. However, I miss the
> > BSD style init of Slackware but I really like the RPM package manager of
> > RedHat. I like the breadt of packages of Debian.
>
> 	Good Heavens!  There is someone who actually LIKED the old BSD
> init!?!?!  That was the numero uno reason for me switching to RedHat.
> Trying to maintain dozens of systems is a royal pain with the old BSD files.
> I kept running into this system or that system which had implimented startup

	AAAAAAAmen.  Speak and spread the good word brother Warfield.
	*grin*

> 	With InfoMagic CD's, one price gets you both ($17.50 an issue on the
> subscription) so I don't see the price on RedHat being an issue.  Never
> used their support, so I guess that's not an issue either.  Having a
> RedHat with SPARC Linux was definitely NICE!

	I tend to agree here, for all the nit picks I have with some
	of RedHats config files, the ability to run my Alpha, Sparc and
	PC all on one distribution is an advantage.  Plus I have not had
	a RPM upgrade fail on me yet....

	To each their own!
	Marc Torres
	marct at mindspring.com