[ale] Linux Distributions

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 29 11:44:24 EDT 1997

Ok folks, its time to start the distribution discussions again. :-)

Like most of us who have used Linux a long time, I was happy to go to
Slackware from SLS. It was heaven sent in comparison. However, times
changed and Slackware had a big lull and I switched to RedHat. I was
fairly happy with it and I continue to use it even today. However, I miss the
BSD style init of Slackware but I really like the RPM package manager of
RedHat. I like the breadt of packages of Debian.

I was wondering what the other ALE members think of various distributions.
I feel that Slackware has fallen behind the times in my opinion. It takes a
long time for updates to the distribution to come out and they still haven't
adopted a package management scheme other than the antiquated but effective
tarball method. RedHat is pretty good but for the money, you their much
vaunted support isn't as good as the stuff you get from USENET. Debian has
lots of packages but the installation still leaves much to be desired for a
novice.

I was wondering what other distributions ALE members use and the advantages
and disadvantages of them.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.