[ale] MSD format specifier for Linux?

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Wed Sep 17 09:56:24 EDT 1997

Does anyone know of an appropriate /dev/fd* setup to dump, copy, and
format Microsoft's 3.5" distribution media (about 1.7 MBy, I believe)?
I have a DOS shareware item which does this.  For some reason, I can't get
it to run under Win95. ;^E

A Linux /dev/fd* would be great, provided 'fdformat' and 'dd' could use it
, but I don't know how to make one up, nor how to find out the format
details.  As Microsoft rather obscures the possibility of doing this at
all, it would be kind of nice to publicize a simple tool to backup the
Win95 distribution.

On that note, is there a disk-format detector for Linux (something like
Sydex Anadisk, but more general, say)?

 John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
    Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
          Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
 "The one piece of advice I can give you is, put on sunscreen and wear a hat."
                          -- Ted Turner, GSU Commencement, Atlanta, 1994