[ale] Hard Drive Odditites

Eric Z. Ayers eric at compgen.com
Tue Sep 16 11:25:32 EDT 1997

Gee, where have I seen this before?  Just last weekend I completely
screwed up my hard drive by moving it from the 3rd hard drive to the 1st
hard drive in my system. My hard drive is a Maxtor 5.1GB

My incredibly intelligent BIOS decided that it needed to use a different
mode on the hard drive if it is installed as the first hard drive in the
system, so it came up looking like it had a different
geometry.  There were no settings for me to control this.  My solution
was to repartion under Linux and reinstall everything.

I think it can make a different if you boot up with lilo's linear
option. I had been doing that with the third hard drive, but had no luck
with LINEAR when I moved it to be the first hard drive.  I don't
completely understand how all that works, despite reading several
diatribes on the subject.  All I know is that the data on my hard drive
appeard to be smoked.

-Eric.