[ale] Fwd: Final pre-2.0.31.. Expect this to be same as real 2.0.31

Jim Lynch jwl at dogwood.peachtree.sgi.com
Mon Sep 8 12:43:57 EDT 1997

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> Chris,
>
> For those who don't know (like me), why are people hacking on 2.0.31
> when 2.1.x has been released?  I thought the kernel version numbers
> increased monotonically.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Tucker
There are two lines of development going, a stable one and a real
development one.  Even numbered  (1.4, 1.6, 2.0, 2.2) are for the stable
distribution.  The hairy edge, state-of-the art, unstable, distributions
are marked as the odd numbers (1.5,2.1, etc).  Usually if they find
something that is necessary, they will put it into the stable distribution
once it has stabilized in the development line.  Sometimes things don't
get from the risky side to the stable side until the next major release.

If you like living on the edge, run the 2.1.xx kernels, but if you run
a production shop and don't want nasty suprises, stick with 2.0.xx kernels.

Jim.
Jim Lynch, SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at sgi.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269