[ale] Jumperless ethercard

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 2 20:15:16 EDT 1997

On  2 Sep, William Young wrote:
> I just picked up what I /*thought*/ was a standard NE2000 clone. When I
> got it home, I noticed there where no jumpers. Apperently it has a boot
> ROM that deteremines ports and IRQs. Well, lo and behold, Linux doesn't
> see it. dmesg shows

No.  Most likely it has an eeprom that stores IRQ, port, and which
interface to use (assuming it's a combo) along with some other info.

My linux box currently has two of these in it.  They work pretty well.
Just boot a dos floppy and use the software that came with the card to
configure it.  It'll burn the eeprom, and then you'll be able to use it
in Linux.

You can also do fun stuff if you use the configuration software for one
ne2000 clone on a different brand clone.  I've managed to change my
hardware address that way ;-).

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu