[ale] Heard on NPR

sjd sjd at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 2 08:59:07 EDT 1997

I heard this on "Car Talk" on NPR:

A small plane was on its way to Seattle, when the pilot flew into a cloud.
He was confused and didn't know where he was.  The passengers knew he was
confused and were getting nervous.  The pilot flew down out of the cloud
and spotted a tall building.  He started to circle the building and spotted
a man sitting in an office with the window open.  He shouted at the man,
"Where am I?!?!?"  The man in the building shouted, "You're in an airplane."

The pilot promptly banked away from the building, found the airport and
landed the plane.

The passengers were astonished and asked the pilot, "How did you know where
the airport was after what that man told you?"  The pilot replied, "What
that man told me was 100% accurate, but absolutely useless, so I knew it
must have been the Microsoft technical support building and the airport is
just 5 miles northwest of the technical support building."

Steve Derezinski
sjd at mindspring.com