[ale] Linux and PCI sound cards?

Jason Boyles jason at alltel.net
Fri Oct 31 02:37:20 EST 1997

I'm on a quest to rid my system of ISA cards. Servicing interrupts on that
bus only serves to slow down the whole system.

The only ISA peripheral I'm concerned about replacing is my trusty
SoundBlaster.

Does anyone here know of any PCI based sound cards supported by the Linux
sound drivers?

I've been experimenting with Intel PCI ethernet cards (based on the
i82557) on Linux and seeing phenomenal results. I am accustomed to 8390
ISA cards which, as you can imagine, are a little sluggish compared to the
82557. With the Intel card I'm getting ftp transfers of >900K/s!

Praise be to Donald Becker, CESDIS, and Beowulf!

-----
Jason Boyles <jason at alltel.net>
"On the subject of whether arrays should be indexed from 0 or 1, my
compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I think, proper consideration."