[ale] confusion:)

tfreeman tfreeman at vnet.net
Fri Oct 17 10:22:36 EDT 1997

I will respond, and somebody with real knowledge can correct me.

What you are  considering is quite reasonable to do. However, from the
sound of your expertise, you might find somebody to physically walk you
through the steps as you will have many choices/decisions to make and all
of them will be new to you.

A little of the reading you need to hit to DIY includes the NET-3,
ethernet and Masquerade(?) howtos. There is more, but not off the top of
my head this morning.

Further comments are editorial in the body of your message.

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Dave Brooks wrote:

> Ok, first of all, let me apologize for my ignorance, that's why I'm
> mailing this:)
>
> here's my question[s]:
> I am currently using a P166 dual booting Linux and W'hindoze95 that serves
> as my net connection.  I have a P60 downstairs that isn't getting much
> use (almost NO use).  So to remedy that, I wanted to move the P60 up here,
> put linux on it, ethernet it to the P166 I'm using now, and use the P60 as
> the net connection so that I wouldn't have to reconnect everytime I
> rebooted.
>
> The thing is...Do I need a LAN or ethernet card? (Is there a difference?)

You are creating a LAN, and unless the two computers are physically very
close, you will need two ethernet cards. I was advised to put my computers
on coax because of the way they are laid out over the house, but many many
people prefer twisted pair ethernet.

 > Can I do it through a direct coax cable or do I need a router?
> And will the P166 automatically get a net connection if it's ethered to
> the P60 and the P60 is connected?

No. Not automatically. You will find a significant software setup overhead
to get both machines live to the Internet. The effort involved will likely
be worth it to you in the long run, but the effort will not be trivial the
first time through.

> thank you for your time in answering these, just had to clear some of this
> up.
>
> regards,
> dave

> Dave Brooks
> spork at chefmike.com
> http://spork.777.net

I hope this helped some. I'm on a similar project myself, but appear to
have run into some hardware challenges beyond my ability to
probe/diagnose. I will be bothering my guru friend with a sniffer this
weekend (I hope).