[ale] re: sounds attached to actions

Geoffrey Myers geof at abraxis.com
Wed Oct 1 21:48:37 EDT 1997

I was wondering if there is a way to attach sounds to particular
actions.  One of the main things I would like to do is to have an
audible notification of email.  I have two computers connected to one
monitor and would like the audible email notification to let me know
when mail arrives.  I'm aware biff does this, but I don't find it very
loud and would like to be able to assign an *.au file.  There are other
things I would like to have notification about as well.  Is there a
better way then dropping a script in cron?

I started using Netscape for mail, so I could use a common interface at
work and home.  I would love the ability to assign a sound to mail
notification via Netscape.  What I currently do, is call popclient from
cron periodically and then another script in cron checks for new mail
and plays a sound if there is any.

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com