[ale] TX-Pro Chipset?

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 23 10:05:32 EST 1997

I recently purchased a TX-Pro Chipset motherboard with an AMD K6-200 CPU.
The increase in speed for DOS and Win95 apps was what was expected.

What was not expected was the extreme degradation in performance for Linux.
Speeds were on par with an old 386-25, or slower.  I carefully went through
the bios to insure that interrupt conflicts were minimized, and this did not
help.  I then removed all cards save for the SVGA card, and still had no
improvement.  Swapping VGA cards did not help, either.  I even recompiled
the kernel, still to no avail.

Has anyone had a similar experience with either the TX-Pro Chipset or the
AMD K6-200?

Regards - Bob Kruger