[ale] routing and firewalls question

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Wed Nov 19 11:04:38 EST 1997

> Ok, here's a stupid one for you...trying to set up a firewall.  All the
> docs/HOW-TOs assume that you're a poor linux geek at home, and want to
> masq your internal net using your one valid IP.  I got that part done.
> But, I have a full class C.  I'm missing something simple and
> fundamental about the routing part.
>

> ISDN Line   ____
> -----------|____|---------|   |-----------------------| |--------------|
>                           |   |                  |----------|          |
>            Router     ____|   |___               | etherhub |       My
> Network
>                       |Nic1   Nic2|              |----------|
>                       |___________|
>
> Add interfaces for eth0 and eth1.   Router is 192.168.2.1, eth0 is 2,
> eth1 is 3.  From the firewall box I can ping outside, and from the
> inside I can ping eth1, but not eth0 or the router...I haven't done any
> specific route commands.  Do I need to?  How do I make the packets go
> from eth1 to eth0?  Yes, IP_FORWARDING is compiled in.
>
> I'm completely brain dead this morning, so I apologize if this is a
> simple one.  Thanks in advance.
>
> /michael
> :wq

Michael,
  presuming eth0 is Nic1 and eth1 is Nic2,

  route add default eth0
  route add net aaa.bbb.ccc eth1   (hope my syntax is correct)

  You need to add a "net" route to your class C and tell it to pass through
  eth1.

Robert
Robert L. Harris          |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_    You don't understand the question

Voice:
  (303) 971-9218
Email:
  Robert at ast.lmco.com