[ale] Joliet Support

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 18 21:06:26 EST 1997

On 18 Nov, Michael Ivey wrote:
> Has anybody done the Joliet patch to a 2.0.30 kernel?  What I really
> want to do is compile it as a module, and slap it into a running
> kernel...but the docs on it are very hazy.

I really doubt that will work.  You'll almost definitely get unresolved
symbols when you insmod.  You'll need to reboot with the new kernel
first.

> Before I waste days on this,
> I was hoping someone had done it and could give me pointers.   I'd
> appreciate it.

It's a fairly straightforward patch.  Just add the patch (0.2.7 for
2.0.30, 0.2.8 for 2.0.32, included in 2.1.6x+), do your normal
config but also enable nls support and the appropriate code pages,
enable Joliet extensions if that's an option (it's not on 2.0.x and is
on 2.1.x, as I recall), reboot, and you should be set.

> /michael, wondering why MS couldn't just use rock ridge

Because Rock Ridge is the accepted standard.

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                    gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
						   Chris.Ricker at ipst.edu