[ale] IE for Linux

Jon Anthony Smith gt7564c at acmex.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 8 01:40:42 EST 1997

> 	True. Linux's problem is not with the kernel. It's with user
> space. Unfortunately not many folks seem interested in changing this
> situation. I guess the most progress made toward this has been rpm and
> RedHat Linux.
>
> > [ . . . ]  I honestly think that M$ has the upper hand
> > because they can produce products which are easy to set up. [ . . . ]
>
> 	Does Cygnus Support offer commercial Linux support? Something like
> this could be the whipping boy Corporate America needs to make Linux a
> realistic option.
> 	No matter how many management propaganda books anathematize "blame
> oriented environments," don't be fooled; culpability is *very* important
> to management. Somebody has to take responsibility for problems. No one
> really wants to, so corporations must pay someone else to do it.

	If I may interject... Linux is IMVHO where Unix is headed. We are
leading the pack in terms of new hardware support/ kernel support of
proprietary MS and other OS options. Linux is here now and here to stay.
	What I hear is that Linux is just too hard for people (IS
managers). Well, when was the last time you had a problem with NT, called
someone gave them, gave them an account and had them fix the problem on
your machine in a matter of a few minutes. I do this all the time for my
friends that I have convinced to run linux and it makes their time
learning linux all the easier. This can be done commercially I'm sure.
	I do agree that new tools are necessary for making setup and
administration easier for joe user but let's face it. Linux has the tools
to get the job done and we are the ones who are going to have to show our
coworkers and friends just how good things can be.

J. Anthony Smith
anthony.smith at chemistry.gatech.edu

	All hale Linux Torvalds and the linux community!