[ale] Web Server

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Fri Nov 7 23:45:06 EST 1997

On  7 Nov , Eric Zundel Ayers wrote:
> The other issues I have with Caldera are:
>
> 1) It bypasses all of the GUI redhat type GUI configuration stuff to go
> with its text based 'LISA' utility because of various assumptions it makes.

Just wait until they do their COAS stuff (conceptually LinuxConf or
whatever that junk's called on steroids).  Then you'll get to learn a
third system.

> BUT on the plus side, it was a pretty easy installation and the default
> window manager setup seems better than the one under RedHat 4.2, and NO
> PAM!

Funny.  The no pam is one of the things I dislike about Caldera.  I'm
still amazed that they target the commercial server market and don't
ship a product with shadow passwords enabled by default (not that it's
difficult to pamify and shadow a caldera system, but I really expected
it to come with such stuff).  FWIW, rumor has it the next version is
PAM-enabled.  I haven't actually verified that with anyone at Caldera,
though, so you might still be safe ;-).

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu