[ale] IP Forwarding

Chris Hamilton chrish at ifsintl.com
Thu May 1 14:27:08 EDT 1997

For those of you that I've been in contact with, the
firewall has been going wonderfully. Thanks for your
help. Now, I have another question/challenge for you.

Any of you set up IP forwarding using a machine with
2 ethernet cards? In case you've forgotten the setup
of my network, here is a rough illustration:

[wwwserver/eth0] -> [firewall/eth1]
                    [firewall/eth0] -> [internet]

I've used TIS' Firewall Toolkit to take assist with
the web/port proxy, however there will be more machines
that will be behind the firewall at a later date. Some
of these machines will belong to Information Systems
staff who we'd like to have full (non-proxy) access to
the 'net. I believe I've compiled my firewall with the
appropriate options (despite the fact that TIS says to
disable IP_FORWARD'ing), but I'm having the damnedest
time with ipfwadm.

Anyone familiar? I've read serveral FAQ's and example
setups, but is doesn't seem that any of them have to
due with basic IP forwarding. Maybe I'm just being
a moron and missing a very obvious key. Oh well,
such is life.

Thanks,

---
Christopher Hamilton    Internal System Administrator
chrish at ifsintl.com      IFS International, Inc.