[ale] moving systems??

Craig McDaniel kreg at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 5 20:47:16 EST 1997

charlie wrote:

>   I have ran out of space on my linux drive, and I thought I'd take the
> oppurtunity to redistribute all my of OS'.  Particularly move around OS's
> so that they aren't so fragement etc.  However, my question is this:
> could I simply copy over my whole linux system to another physical drive?

Yes, I've done something similar before.  If you're moving your root to
another partition it's a little complicated  You need a boot floppy and
root floppy or other such rescue disk (hopefully included with your
distribution; if not, I recommend "yard - yet another rescue diskette.)
Boot from the floppy and move your stuff (I just used cp -a).  Run LILO
so that it points to the new partition where your new kernal is.  Modify
/etc/fstab to include your new root and rename your old one to "oldroot"
or something.  Reboot and try it out.

Good luck.