[ale] moving systems??

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 3 09:44:00 EST 1997

>   I have ran out of space on my linux drive, and I thought I'd take the
> oppurtunity to redistribute all my of OS'.  Particularly move around OS's
> so that they aren't so fragement etc.  However, my question is this:
> could I simply copy over my whole linux system to another physical drive?

In theory this can work. Of course if you're using LILO then you'll need a
floppy to boot. Both tar and cpio have exact copy modes. You'll have to
read the man pages fairly carefully to get the right options mix.

> (I doubt it) I just wanted to check because I didn't want to have to
> re-install all of it onto another drive and try to copy over the correct
> setup files etc.  Also I don't have an easy way to re-install my linux
> distribution so I thought maybe I could circumvent the whole process.

I think it's worth a shot. Can you afford to make the copy and test it before
trashing the original? Or must you make a backup, reorganize, then restore
the backup. Seems to me that if the former is true then it's worth taking
a shot because you can get a couple of chances to do it right before having
to commit.

> What things would I need to change inorder to insure that this would work?
> (If this is even remotely possible )

I think the biggest thing after LILO is to change you /etc/fstab to reflect
the new organization.

Good Luck.

BAJ