[ale] Linux on a supercomputer

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Wed Jul 30 20:51:14 EDT 1997

I'm sure many people have read of several supercomputer projects based
on Linux and networked Intel machines. The one project I recall gives a Beawolf
supercompter, but I've seen others. There was an article on Beawolf in Science
about 6 months ago. I have also seen a group working on networking Intel
machines through parallel ports, but don't recall the name of that project and
have lost the URL.

The thing I find impressive is that with Linux, you can put together a system
for about $50K capable of ab initio quantum calculations. I might actually need
to go back and relearn some of that mess.

Thompson Freeman		       tfreeman at vnet.net
Student of Chemistry and other Philosophical Studies

!!  Free Knowledge! Bring your own bucket and shovel!