[ale] MIME decoding question

John M. Mills jmills at bismarck.gtri.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 30 13:01:41 EDT 1997

[Thanks to those who sent suggestions on my question.  I will try another
 decoder as several suggested.  This comment, however, speaks to another
 part of the problem:]

DN But back to the original post.  Pine works great on autodecoding
DN attachments (well, not 100 auto ... you have to tell it to extract the
DN attachment), but it sounds to me like the mail you got did not have the
DN headers encoded correctly, and that is why you could see all the text
DN junk, as Pine normally tries to hide that.  Either that or a bum mail.

I have seen this before -- I wondered whether my first viewing the files
under 'mail' and then forwarding them to me at another host, possibly
corrupted the header information.  I could try forwarding my mail directly
to my desktop and see if an encoded message is properly seen by 'pine'
when 'untouched by human keystrokes.'

Thanks again, but keep the cards and letters coming for the moment.  I'm
not out of the woods, yet.

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
         Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
           "The older I get, the better I was." -- Unknown Sage