[ale] MIME decoding question

John M. Mills jmills at bismarck.gtri.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 30 10:00:49 EDT 1997

I normally read mail on a *NIX box with 'rsh' and 'mail' (probably 'mailx'),
and now receive MIME attachments.  To cope with this, I installed 'pine' on
my desktop, and am prepared to install helpers as required, fix .mailcap,
and so on as I learn.

First Problem:  I have received a couple of encoded files, but can't see
anything but the encoded version.  Yesterday's mail included:
****
[headers, lead text ..]
--=====================_870211319==_

[.. semi-infinite ASCII encoding of the *.bmp file ..]

****

I can't get 'pine' to recognize the encoding, nor to store a binary version
of the item, much less view it.  How can I set up my mail reader to deal
with encoded MIME attachments?  Earlier I had equally unsuccessful results
with Netscape, which is why I installed 'pine'.  'View Attachment' brings
a complaint from 'pine' that there is no attachment.

Pointers Right to The Fine Manual are definintely appropriate here.

Thanks -- jmm --

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
         Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
           "The older I get, the better I was." -- Unknown Sage