[ale] Linux sighting at SFNB

sjd sjd at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 29 10:28:39 EDT 1997

I went to Security First Network Bank to open a new account, and the first
thing they did was set me down in front of a web browser to fill out an
application.  (Note:  you don't actually have to go there to open an
account, but I was curious what their non-virtual bank looked like.)
They've got a set of three internet kiosks that display their home page.
As soon as I sat down, I noticed the start button in the lower left corner,
but it had a STAR icon and not a windoze flag!  I asked one of the
employees, and apparently they needed the security & stability.

It was Netscape 3.0 & RedHat.

This is the first business I know of that is using Linux in an END-USER
application -- anyone else know of others?

Steve Derezinski
sjd at mindspring.com