[ale] installing StarOffice 3.1

aesop aesop at negia.net
Sun Jul 27 11:43:29 EDT 1997

I found StarOffice challenging to install even with CD.  I am referring to
3.1.4 BTW.

Make sure you have the following packages:
	StarOffice-common-3.1-4.i386.rpm
	StarOffice-english-3.1-4.i386.rpm
	StarOffice-dynbin-3.1-4.i386.rpm|StarOffice-statbin-3.1-4.i386.rpm
	StarOffice-doc-english-3.1-4.i386.rpm [optional]

The second package installs the English templates and demo documents.  The
README also states this will give an English language installation.
Choose either the static or dynamic binaries.  (Dynamic libraries are
against Motif 2.x, I think).

After installing the rpm's, you need to do a user installation.  Run
/opt/StarOffice-3.1/setup as some non-root user.  (I tried root but the
setup runs in an admin mode.)  Choose the first option: "User
installation".  The setup will create a directory tree in your home
directory ~/StarOffice-3.1, which creates mostly symbolic links back to
the system tree.  The sd.sh file is also copied to your home directory as
.sd.sh and you'll be asked if you want . ~/.sd.sh added as the last line
of your profile.  Otherwise, you must run this prior to invoking any of
the programs.  The sd.sh script is run through a filter before copying it
to your home directory.  That may explain some of the problems you were
having.

Read through your .sd.sh script.  You'll notice the SVFONTPATH variable.
While adding fonts to this will not affect StarWriter, they are available
in StarDraw.  I have a font server (cfs) that supports TrueType fonts,
which I can pull into StarDraw.  However, I am having problem printing
them.  Haven't had a chance to investigate yet.

Hope this helps.

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Andrew Newton wrote:

> I'd also like to know the answer as i ran into the same
> problem when installing StarOffice.  I can get it to run
> by putting the following line in my .bashrc:
> . /opt/StarOffice/linux-x86/bin/sd.sh
> Well, I may have the path wrong, but it was something like
> that.  However, this still gives you some problems as
> the setup program creates some user directories and stuff
> that I don't have (and hence StarOffice complains about).
>

> > I need a German translator.  I tried to install StarOffice 3.1 but when
> > I run the installation script, "setup" it gives me the following script
> > error:
> >
> > Line 1: syntax error at token 'I' expected declator; i.e. File ...
> >

> > This error is documented under "Frage 4.2" in the german FAQ at
> > http://www.stardiv.de/staroffice/linux/index.html.
> >
> > Can anybody translate this for me?  (I would have pasted it into this
> > email but I can't seem to get it to cut and paste.)
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > Lisa Chiang
> > gt6492d at gatech.campus.mci.net
> >

> --
> Andrew Newton
> lfs at eskimo.com
> http://www.eskimo.com/~lfs

Dogbert: Has your electronic mail system made you more efficient?
Dilbert: In a way... Now I'm getting ignored at the speed of light.
						-- Scott Adams