[ale] Off topic: Burned memory???!!!

frank zamenski fgzamen at iglobal.net
Tue Jul 22 12:00:03 EDT 1997

Charlie,

I've never seen this happen, and I've done a fair amount of pc repair and
maint myself, but, if you are indeed proficient at installing ram, then, I
think it is conceivable that you could have gotten a bad chip. For example,
it may have had a micro fracture in it somewhere -- whether "created" at the
factory, or perhaps if it was roughly handled afterward in shipping -- and
thus it shorted out on you. But, is it possilbe the mem bank on your mb the
simm was put in is itself shorted? How old is the motherboard, and has it
ever been roughly handled itself (for example, in a "tight fit" scenerio)?
Also, has the bank ever had a simm in it before, so that you know the bank
itself is okay?

In any event, 72 pin mem is not all that expensive, so you didn't loose too
much... but, neither did your dealer, and perhaps he should have given you
the benefit of a doubt to keep a repeat customer. Personally, if I knew I
was "right", I'd write the dealer a courteous but firm letter asking for a
refund or replacement simm (it is a competitive business to keep customers,
after all!)... else, I wouldn't buy from him anymore!

And now... back on topic....
..frank z.