[ale] Off topic: Burned memory???!!!

charlie charlie at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 22 00:00:03 EDT 1997

I know this is off the topic, but I just wanted another opinion on this
matter.  If this type of stuff makes you mad don't read any more.

Ok I bought some memory from a dealer and when I went to install it
into the machine it burnt up.  I checked my installation and I checked
the connection before I turned it on as well as after.  The dealer
says it's my fault and that if I had have installed it right it can't
burn up so I'm at fault.  I'm not asking to place blame because what's
done is done, but I'm more curious to if he's right.  I've installed
lots and lots of memory in the past with only one case of it not working
and that was because of the manufacturer putting the slots to close to
each other so the memory wouldn't slide fully into the socket.  Can
memory burn out from a defect in this one chip?  Has anyone else seen
this in the past?

please reply privately

thanks
charlie

						        Charles Hubbard
   		 	          Internet: charlie at felix.cc.gatech.edu
 ". . .the pope talks a lot about sex, of which he knows nothing. . ."
	- Robert Anton Wilson

 ". . .Some used the problems to criticize the company's Web server
  software. 'Maybe they should have bought Linux,'" --anon