[ale] Laptop and APM question

arnold at gnu.ai.mit.edu arnold at gnu.ai.mit.edu
Thu Jul 17 22:38:00 EDT 1997

After a few week hiatus, I'm back on the ALE list.

Continuing the saga of my HP Omnibook 5000 laptop. I built a new kernel
and enabled APM.  Now I'm getting lots of:

	apm_bios: set display standby: Unrecognized device ID
	apm_bios: set display ready: Unrecognized device ID

messages on my console, every 10 minutes or so.

The suspend-to-disk/turn power off feature now seems to work with the APM
stuff enabled, so that's a plus. Any ideas though about the messages?

Also, the Documentation/Changes file (2.0.30 kernel, Redhat 4.2) sez:

> APM support
> ===========
>
>    Advanced Power Management (APM) support has been added to the kernel
> as well.  APM, which is primarily of use in laptops, provides access to
> battery status information and may help to conserve battery power.  The
> support files can be found in
> ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/laptops/apm/apmd-2.4.tar.gz

But I can't find an apmd on my system or anywhere on tsx-11. Is this just
something that's out of date? Or am I really missing a daemon that I need?

So, more information and enlightenment requested.

Thanks!

Arnold Robbins		Internet: arnold at gnu.ai.mit.edu