[ale] SCSI CD-R

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Thu Jul 17 15:32:15 EDT 1997

> I've got a SCSI Smart&Friendly CD Recorder that hangs the system everyt
> ime I try to boot to Debian. It boots fine in DOS, the Adaptec (2940)
> sees it fine, but when the kernel finds it, it hangs.
>
> aic7xxx: Target 3, channel A, refusing synchronus negotiation.  Using
> asynchronus transfers.
> Vendor: YAMAHA	Model: CDR100		Rev: 1.10
> Type: WORM					AMSI SCSI Revision: 02
> Detected SCSI CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0.
>
> I have another CD-ROM on the chain (a Sony), and a seagate hard drive.
> I tried switching the cd and cd-r id's, but it still hung.  The kernel
> boots fine if the CD-R is turned off.  It hangs even if the regular cd
> is turned off.  Kernel has support for misc scsi devices, and scsi
> cdroms.

Blake,
  I just went through this with my system and the exact same CD-R.  First
  of all.  Make sure that the HardDrive is the last device on the chain
  physically.  Second, Make sure TERM POWER and TERMINATION jumpers are
  removed from the drive (internal).  Last, if your harddrive has the
  white jumper block on the underside, it needs the jumper "sideways"
  (config C on the seagate drive spec page) and Termination Enable
  Jumper on.

Robert

Robert L. Harris          |    If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_     you don't understand the question.

Email:
Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER: