[ale] Login Problems > window manager

gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 16 19:40:02 EDT 1997

On 16 Jul, Nick Grimmig wrote:
> there is no xdm file in the pam.d directory.
> 	x - 6.1
> 	pam - ???
>
> 	I did find this however.  Does this have anything to do with it?
>
> 	auth	required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok

First off, quick RedHat lesson.  RedHat packages their software in
RPMs.  To find out all packages on your system, type rpm -qa.  To look
up a specific package, type rpm -q <guess at part of name>.  In this
case, rpm -q pam (or rpm -qa | grep pam) should tell you the version.

Offhand, I'd recommend upgrading to XFree86 3.3 (in the 4.2 updates
directory from redhat).  That will give you a pamified xdm and the xdm
config file for pam that you lack.

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu