[ale] Login Problems > window manager

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Tue Jul 15 17:18:20 EDT 1997

Nick Grimmig asked:
> After starting xdm,  trying to login to x yields " incorrect login"
> 	this happens for all accounts, root included.  What am I doing wrong?
> --
Typically this happens when you have shadow passwords or pam configured and
the version of xdm you have isn't the right one. If the reverse is true
(shadow version of xdm but no shadow passwds) might also cause the same thing.
To tell if you have shadow passwords look in /etc/passwd, if there are
encrypted passwds there you don't. If the passwd field for all users has
all asterisks you have shadow passwds. I am not sure how to tell if pam
is configured.

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		  X/CDE/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.