[ale] Dual Pentium Machines

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Sun Jul 13 17:54:14 EDT 1997

> >  You need to use Intel
> > chips as last I've heard, AMD doesn't conform to the multi-processor
> > specs.
>

> Well, they wont 'do' Intel's SMP specs.
> Though AMD is releasing a new chipset soon, August I hear.
> It will 'do' SMP via the OpenPIC way, instead of the proprietary Intel
> way.
>
> I'm awaiting my SMP mb, an ASUS P65UP5.
> It has a CPU card, for ppro or pentiums.
> I'm gettting the dual P5 riser card first.
> Then when P6s are cheaper, maybe the dual P6 card.
> Can harly wait, should be here this week!

How much does the ASUS run on average?  I will be
building a second faster machine in the not too distant
future.  That board will do P5 and 6 chips?  Good news
about AMD,  I prefer AMD chips anyway.  I know their
K5 series had some nasty heat problems that they fixed
in the K6.  Inteln on the other hand produced another
floating point bug and instead of fixing them, they're
gonna help programmers work around it.

Robert

Robert L. Harris          |    If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_     you don't understand the question.

Email:
Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER: