[ale] Dual Pentium Machines

Robert L. Harris nomad at orci.com
Sun Jul 13 14:07:48 EDT 1997

Greg Vence wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Its time to upgrade...  What dual Pentium machines do people like and
> what have known problems?  I looked in LDP and didn't see anything
> regarding this topic.
>
> Thanx -- Greg.

 Greg,
  I'm currently running a home-built dual.  I use a Tyan Mother board
but I've also heard good things about "ASUS".  You need to use Intel
chips as last I've heard, AMD doesn't conform to the multi-processor
specs.  Also,  you need to check 2 things on your chips whe you get them

the "S-Spec" number on the bottom of the chip.  Also, there should be
another number, the bottom right of the underside of the chip.  Mine
says
"VSS".   It must end in S for standard.  The other is "U" for
uniprocessor.
Don't forget to check the voltage on the board.  My board is a little
older
and won't do dual 200MMX chips, but I can runn 166MMX or 200stnd.
The voltage regulators can't handle the extra power for the 200MMX.
Otherwise, mine runs great.  The tyan boards only require you to change
one jumper to change it from single to dual processor if you want to go
that way, like I did.

Have Fun,
 Robert

Robert L. Harris             |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire.    \_    You don't understand the question.

Email:
  Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

perl -e 'print
$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'