[ale] module symbols don't match

lanar lanar at roman.net
Wed Jul 9 00:28:13 EDT 1997

Joe Bayes wrote:

> I think I've seen the answer to this somewhere, but now that I need it
> I can't seem to find it.
>
> When I boot up, I get a bunch of messages about how my module symbols
> (from linux-2.0.18) don't match my linux-2.0.18.
> In /var/log/messages, I find the following:
Well 'recording' to RedHat on the erratica, the problem arises when you
build a new kernal. Before you make a make modules; make
modules_install, rename the directory /lib/modules/2.0.18 and then
install the modules. that should take care of the spew of bad symbols. I
would recomend that you upgrade to at lease the kernel version 2.0.27
(it fixes several of the networking bugs [the ping o death for one].

> depmod -a gives me:
> spoo:/lib/modules/2.0.18# depmod -a
> *** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.18/fs/ext.o
> *** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.18/fs/hpfs.o
> *** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.18/fs/ncpfs.o

as for the other problems, I have no clue