[ale] Driver for Diamond Virge 3D card

Huong Q. Dinh quynh at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 7 17:32:00 EDT 1997

Hello everyone,

I'm a novice to Linux, and not much more than a novice to Unix.
I've successfully (I think) installed Linux on my Pentium Pro machine,
but now I'm having troubles with getting X-Windows to run.  Basically,
I think I have a driver problem.  I've been playing with the XF86Config file
trying to get the right chipset and dot-clock for my Diamond Virge 3D
graphics card.  However, I get the feeling that the driver for this card did not come
with the Slackware Linux installation.  The Virge 3D card is a fairly new card, I believe.
It has 4M EDO RAM, and I think (though not absolutely positive), it also goes by the
name Stealth 3D 2000 Series.  I'm not positive because on the packing slip of my computer
it is called the Virge 3D graphics card.  At the Diamond web site, however, there is no
such card, but there is a Stealth 3D 2000 card that uses the S3-ViRGE graphics controller,
and so, I think that this is the same card.  In addition, according to Diamond's publicity
postings, it was packaged with the Millenia computer systems which is my system.

I also called Micron, and they said the name of the chipset is s3virge.
I ran the X -showconfig command to see the drivers for the chipsets that are included in
the installation.  I did not see s3virge.  Does anyone have any information on where I
might find drivers for this graphics card or how I can get X-Windows to run with it?
Perhaps it is possible to use the driver of another of the Diamond cards?

Please help,  thanks in advance,

- Quynh.