[ale] ISDN

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri Jul 4 22:10:46 EDT 1997

Robert L. Harris enscribed thusly:

> Hey Guys,
>   I'm running a bitsurfer PRO, external.  It works clean in 95 which
> is making me sick cause it doesn't in Linux.  I compiled the latest
> kernel (2.1.43)
> with ISDN support.  I didn't include the syncronous support since
> I don't know where to find the ipppd anyway.  I either get no
> connection or alot of o or x repeated when it does connect.
> Any clues?

	It works GREAT in Linux.  I'm currently running four of them at
home and another half dozen at the office.

	1)  You do NOT use the ISDN kernel options!

	2)  You do NOT use synchronous support!

	The Bitsurfer Pro is an Async device connected to one of your Comm
ports.  I would personally recommend configuring it for PPP mode (as opposed
to V.120 mode) with the appropriate bonding/MLPPP options for the appropriate
number of channels and the convention your ISP supports.  Crank up pppd with
115200 for the baud (Hope you got a 16550A in da box) and turn chat loose
with the dial in stuff.  Works greats.  I have a hell of a lot easier time
configuring Linux to work ISDN over the Bitsurfer than Windows!

  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/