[ale] Question

Glynn Black blackgr at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jul 2 09:55:54 EDT 1997

Greetings:

I'm employed by Chatham County Department of Family and Children
Services down in Savannah, GA. I'm looking to purchase a couple of
Pentium class PCs for use with Linux as a workstation and web server.
Normally I just throw together generic parts and if a particular
component doesn't work for Linux, I just change the component.
Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury in this particular instance.
If at all possible I have to purchase a well known brand off a list of
state contracts and I don't have any room for experimentation or trial
and error. I need something that will run with Linux without any
hitches.

Usually the agency purchases Compaqs, but I've learned through HOWTOs
that Compaqs aren't a good choice for Linux. Our contracts includes
the following companies:

Gateway 2000
Unisys Corporation
Dell Marketing
Zenith Data Systems
AST
Toshiba
Tangent Computer
IBM
Win Labaratories
Canon Computer Systems
Hewlett-Packard
Nec Microcomputers

If anyone has had any "Hitch-free" experience with any of the above
companies and would care to share information or make any
recomendations, I would appreciate it.

Glynn Black	Chatham DFCS
blackgr at worldnet.att.net