[ale] ppp not working.

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Tue Jan 21 08:30:32 EST 1997

Hi, y'all.

Over the weekend, I tried again to get ppp working to mindspring.
A while back I gave up when it would dump my line a few seconds into
a dialing.

So I installed Debian  1.1.10, installed 2.0.21 kernel source, recompiled
selecting ppp to be installed as a module, wrote it to a floppy and
rebooted.

I insmod'ed ppp and attempted to run pppd.  It said something about
the kernel not supporting ppp.  BS!  So I recompiled the kernel
selecting ppp (y) rather than as a module and
same thing.  The motd line shows build #6 which is a couple more than
it was on Friday, so I'm pretty sure it is booting the kernel correctly.

I seem to remember a thread somewhere a while back concerning this,but
don't remember where or what the conclusions were.

Any suggestions?

Oh, it dials OK and seems to connect, but then throws the error message
and dumps the line.

Thanks,
Jim.

Jim Lynch, System Engineer,  SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Federal Business Systems, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269